There have been recent allegations surfacing of Harvey Weinstein being involved in sexual misconduct with females in the workplace.
Weinstein was presented in a New York courtroom on July 9, 2018, where he then entered a plea of “not guilty” on the charge of committing a forcible sexual act in first degree. Harvey has been out of jail on a one million dollar bail, though attended court handcuffed. He has been staying at a family home in Connecticut since his bail release.
James Burke, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice, heard the prosecutors’ demands for a more stringent bail arrangement, however did not rule on the request. The bail debate took up most of the arraignment time, which was about 15 minutes. Although he is staying in Connecticut, the lead prosecutor on the case, Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi, asked that Weinstein be held on house arrest in Manhattan since he now faces very serious charges.
Last month, Weinstein was hit with bigger charges by the Manhattan District Attorney than what he had been previously facing; he was charged with a more. serious degree of sexual assault. These charges could possibly have Harvey looking at facing life in prison. The said charge is committing a forcible sexual act in the first degree. This specific charge pertains to the third women to come out about a personal experience involving Harvey’s sexual assault. This was after two other woman had developed their cases against him from acts in 2004 and 2013. This particular incident was said to have occurred in 2006.
A statement was produced from the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. explaining how Weinstein was charged “with an additional count of a Criminal Sexual Act in the first degree”. It also states, “…as well as two counts of Predatory Sexual Assault, a Class A-II felony which carries a minimum sentence of ten years and a maximum sentence of life imprisonment”.
Illuzzi says that Weinstein should not be able to use his Connecticut home as his place of house arrest because there are records showing that the home has been sold. Benjamin Brafman, lead defense attorney, confirmed that the house had been sold; however, per stipulation of sale he was “allowed” to remain in the home until February of 2019. Brafman says that it is unreasonable to change the terms of the bail because Weinstein has complied with all past prosecutor demands thus far.
Brafman also argued that the only places Harvey goes are to Brafman’s office, his office where he works, and to doctor’s appointments in Connecticut. This is seemingly a tactic to get house arrest off the table. He also predicted that the press will find out where he is staying invade his privacy.
Although, he does not have much privacy in court either. His most recent court date was filled with about three dozen media members, and TV satellite trucks parked across from the courthouse. However, contrary to future beliefs that Brafman has, there were no protestors or angry members of society outside the courthouse waiting for them.
Gloria Allred was also in the courtroom, who has represented many other victims of Harvey Weinstein. Brafman accused her of scripting a Youtube statement for one of the accusers and said that she “was mouthing the words as the victim read them off the page”. Allred gave no reaction to this outlandish statement.
Along from the three large cases against him, he is also facing almost a dozen other lawsuits filed by the 80 women who have accused him of sexual assault, misconduct, and harassment. Aside from New York, authorities in L.A., the UK, and Beverly Hills also confirm that they are pursuing potential criminal charges against Harvey.
He is next scheduled to appear in court on September 12th.
The Oscar-winning producer, whose namesake company is also due to conclude its bankruptcy sale this week, is next scheduled to appear in court on September 12.